As we heading into another few days of extreme heat here in Canberra, please take care of yourself and those who are more vulnerable to heat stress in our community, the young, the elderly, and those with chronic illness.
The ACT Ambulance Service encourages all Canberrans and visitors to the national capital to take note of the following tips to avoid HEAT STRESS:
- Avoid dehydration. Drink plenty of cool fluids, preferably water. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink;
- Avoid drinking alcohol, tea and coffee because these will cause dehydratio
- Avoid drinking alcohol, tea and coffee because these will cause dehydration;
- Wear light-coloured, loose fitting clothing where possible. Don’t overdress;
- NEVER leave children alone in a car, even for a very short time. The inside temperature can become life-threatening within MINUTES;
- Avoid any strenuous outdoor activities, especially when the sun is strongest between the hours of 11.00am and 3.00pm;
- If outside, make sure you always wear a shirt and hat – even if you are swimming; and
- Use plenty of sun screen when outside and reapply regularly.
For more information, including the signs and treatment for heat stress go to: http://esa.act.gov.au/community-information/calling-an-ambulance/extreme-heat/